Idea cellular, a part of Aditya Birla group, is one of India’s leading GSM mobile services operator.
This telecom company has licenses to operate in all 22 service areas. Presently it is operating in 13 circles. Idea Cellular value-added services like GPRS, call conference, GSM, GPS and also provides customized solutions according to business specific needs.
With a customer base of 98 million as on August 2011, it is among top 25 telecom companies.
Through merger and acquisitions, Idea Cellular has received established service areas for mobile operations. In January 2001 it merged with Tata Cellular, which had service area in Andhra Pradesh. In June 2001, through its acquisition of RPG Cellcom, it received Madhya Pradesh service area. In January 2004 it received service areas of Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Kerala through its acquisition of Escotel Mobile Communication (Escotel). In 2006 it became part of Aditya Birla Group. Idea Cellular has acquired 40.8% stake in Spice Communication.
Idea has a network of over 70,000 cell sites covering the entire length and breadth of the country. Idea has over 3,000 Service Centres servicing Idea subscribers across the country, including 450 special Experience Zones for 3G promotion. Idea’s service delivery platform is ISO 9001:2008 certified, making it the only operator in the country to have this standard certification for all 22 service areas and the corporate office.
Idea won 3G Spectrum in 11 service areas in India.
First operator to announce the launch of Mobile Number Portability, have been the Top gainer ever since the service was launched.
Launched 3G in 10 circles – Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra and Goa, Uttar Pradesh (East), Uttar Pradesh (West).
Only operator in the country to have ISO 9001:2008 certification for its service delivery platform for all 22 service areas and the corporate office.
Won back spectrum for 7 circles for which licenses were quashed by the Supreme Court.
Idea wins at the prestigious World Communication Awards 2012, second year consecutively.
Idea Launches the BlackBerry Z10 smartphone in India.
Idea introduces ‘Speed Booster’ plans for postpaid 3G data users.
Idea introduces buffet plan for its postpaid subscribers.
Idea Cellular has tied up with Taiwan’s handset manufacturer HTC offering two touch phone models targeting the premium segment in India. The two Taiwan made models called HTC Touch Pro and HTC Touch Viva are based on Windows mobile platform offer elegant touch screen experience.
Idea Cellular has launched EDGE enabled USB Data card ‘Netsetter’ for prepaid and postpaid subscribers in Mumbai.This data card would be priced at Rs.2,490. It will provide anywhere-anytime internet access and is only Data Card having compatibility with multiple operating systems such as Windows 2000, XP, Vista, and Mac.
- It received the 'CARE' service in the 'Best Billing or Customer Care Solution' award at the GSM Association Awards in Barcelona, Spain
- Idea Cellular won an award for the 'Bill Flash' service at GSM Association Awards in Barcelona, Spain.
- Idea is the winner of ‘The Emerging Company of the Year Award’ at The Economic Times Corporate Excellence Awards 2009.
- IDEA Cellular also received the prestigious Avaya GlobalConnect Award for being the ‘Most Customer Responsive Company’ in the Telecom sector in the year 2010.
- It won the GSM Association Award for ‘Best Billing and Customer Care Solution’ for 2 consecutive years. It was awarded ‘Mobile Operator of the Year Award – India’ for 2007and 2008 at the Annual Asian Mobile News Awards.