Container Corporation of India popularly known as CONCOR, was incorporated in 1988. The company is engaged in the business of transportation through containerization. Over the years, CONCOR has diversified into several container logistics activities such as container port, Air cargo Complex, Air Freight Station, Warehousing, Logistics Park, Supply chain management etc.
Today, CONCOR undoubtedly is the market leader that has the largest network of 61 ICDs/CFSs in India. Besides offering inland transport by rail for containers the company also provides services such as cover management of Ports, air cargo complexes and establishing cold-chain. For International and Domestic containerization and trade in India the company has built-up multimodal logistics support.
Company’s Sixteen Offices/ Terminals have received ISO-9001:2000 Certification for its quality management.
In 1966 Indian Railway undertook an initiative to containerize cargo transport in India. Rail Transport was cost effective option for all cargo over medium and long distances. So the same year Indian Railway started door-to-door domestic cargo in special DSO containers. Later in 1981 the first ISO container was moved inland by the Indian Railways to India's first Inland Container Depot (ICD) at Bangalore which was managed by the Indian Railways. By 1988 the ICD network augmented to 7 ICDs. Later CONCOR started operation by taking over the existing network of ICDs from the Indian Railways.
Business Carrier - Majority of CONCOR terminals are rail-linked, 94 % of its inland transport is conducted through the Indian Railways network. Due its close collaboration with the Indian Railways, the company gets wagons and operational support. This rail-linked terminals provide company price-competitive advantage. Company also offers road services in the form of supplementary services to provide the door to door linkages having carried the bulk of long lead by rail.
Terminal and Container Freight Station (CFS) Operator- Under this company started its operations in November 1989 with 7 Inland Container Depots (ICDs). Today the company operates through 58 terminals, of which 48 are export-import container depots, and 9 exclusive domestic container depots; and around 31 terminals execute the combined role of domestic as well as international terminals. Under this segment it provides facilities such as transit warehousing for import and export cargo, Less than Container Load (LCL) consolidation, and reworking of LCL cargo at nominated hubs, Air cargo clearance using bonded trucking and Bonded warehousing, enabling importers to store cargo and take partial deliveries, thereby deferring duty payment.
CONCOR's core business is characterized by three distinct activities, that of a carrier, a terminal operator, and a warehouse operator.
Awards and Achievements
- Received the coveted MOU excellence awards for four consecutive years (2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07 and 2007-08) and finds a place among top ten CPSES.
- CONCOR has been awarded as the top Indian company in the shipping and logistics sector for the dun and Bradstreet-American express corporate awards, 2007& 2008 consecutively.
- CONCOR has received corporate excellence award from Amity International for the year 2007.
- CONCOR has been awarded for its project titled “Web Based Integrated Container/terminal Management System” which has been adjudged by AFACT (Asia pacific council for trade facilitation and electronic business) as winner for e-Asia 2009 award for the category “electronic business in public sector”.
- 2012-Concor has been awarded with ‘IT Innovation & Excellence Award 2012’ by knowledge resource development & welfare Group on 28/12/2012 for excellence in application in MIS in Industry. '
- 2013- Concor has been awarded with ‘Scope Meritorious Award for corporate social responsibility & responsiveness’ for the year 2011-12. CMD, concor received this award from hon’ble president of india on 26/04/2013.