Mahindra & Mahindra was established on October 2, 1945 when K.C. Mahindra visited the United States of America as Chairman of the India Supply Mission. He met Barney Roos, inventor of the rugged 'general purpose vehicle' or Jeep and had a flash of inspiration: wouldn't a vehicle that had proved its invincibility on the battlefields of World War II be ideal for India's rugged terrain and its kutcha rural roads. Swift action followed thought. The Mahindra brothers joined hands with a distinguished gentleman called Ghulam Mohammed. And, Mahindra & Mohammed was set up as a franchise for assembling jeeps from Willys, USA.
Two years later, India became an independent nation and Mahindra & Mohammed changed its name to Mahindra & Mahindra. Ghulam Mohammed migrated to Pakistan post-partition and became the first Finance Minister of Pakistan.
Mahindra & Mahindra is the only Indian company among the top three tractor manufacturers in the world. The Group has a leading presence in key sectors of the Indian economy.The Group employs over 50,000 people and has several state-of-the-art facilities in India and overseas.
Mahindra & Mahindra has comprehensive manufacturing facilities with high level of vertical integration. Catering to the Sector's diverse customer base spanning rural and semi urban customers, defence requirements and luxurious urban utility vehicles or SUVs. These manufacturing plants keep abreast with the latest technology to meet the growing market expectations. These manufacturing facilities have some of the best technologies and equipment in India and provide for a very challenging and satisfying work environment. Its plants in Mumbai and Nasik manufacture multi-utility vehicles and engines are produced at the Igatpuri plant. Utility Vehicles, Light commercial vehicles and 3 wheelers are manufactured at the Zaheerabad plant in Andhra Pradesh and three-wheelers at the Haridwar plant.
The business area of the company spreads to:
The company manufactures & markets utility vechicles, light commercial vechicles that includes three wheeler vechicles,namely; Scorpio, Bolero, Champion and many more. The company also exports its products to several countries in Europe, Africa, South America, South Asia and the Middle East. M&M has a tie up with Renault for production & marketing of Logan. Mahindra International is into producing trucks and buses.The company has entered into a joint venture with Navistar for production of disel engines & trucks.
M&M's farm equipment segment has presence in six continents and has a worldwide network of 800 dealers .Its total combined production capacity is 1,50,000 tractors a year from countries like India, USA, China and Australia. The company is also into agri business.
Trade, Retail & Finance
Mahindra’s Intertrade Division provides steel & steel related services. It offers steel raw materials, metals, ferro alloys, etc. It also processes Cold Rolled Grain Oriented (CRGO) and Cold Rolled Non Grain Oriented (CRNGO) steels that are required for transformers & compressors.Mahindra Retails is into distribution business and has tie up with big names like Lego, Disney, Mattel and others. Mahindra Finance is into financing of tractors and other vehicles and is also into Insurance broking.
M&M has also entered Infrastructure development that operates in real estates, SEZs, hospitality, project engineering and design.Under this it has created Mahindra Holiday & Resorts, Mahindra Lifespaces & Mahindra World City.
Tech Mahindra provides solutions & services to telecommucation majors namely Alcatel, AT&T, BT, Convergys, Ericsson and O2, among others. It is also into business process and technology consulting services through Bristle.
It is into supply of automotive components.It produces forged and forged / machined components, gears and composities.
Under this division it has companies like Mahindra Defence,engaged in manufacturing defence related vehicles & Mahindra Ashtech.
Products and services offered by the company:-
- Maxx Range
- Naya Commander
- Bolero Camper DLX
- Maxx Pic-ups
- Champion range of Three Wheelers.
- Farm Equipment
- Agri inputs and services
- Farm Implements
- Loans and Mutual Fund
- Insurance and Risk Management Services
Trade, & Retail and Logistics Retail - Mahindra Retail Ferro Alloys and Metal Scrap Steel and Steel Related Services Technical Products And Services Toys and Apparel Corporate People Movement Supply Chain Management Service Centre for Automotive and Electrical Steels
- Dealership Management
- Facility Management
- Software Solutions
- Development of Infrastructure Projects
- Engineering consultancy
- Integrated Business Cities
- Lifetime holidays
- Living Spaces and Working Spaces
- Engineering Services
- Sourcing of Auto Components
- Stampings and Steel
- Ash Handling Euipments for Power Plants
- Defence Vehicles
- Information Security Consultancy
- 1945: 2nd October, Mahindra & Mohammed established.
- 1948: The Company was renamed Mahindra & Mahindra Limited (M&M).Steel trading business commenced, in association with suppliers in UK.
- 1949: Jeep assembly commenced.
- 1950: The first business with Mitsubishi Corporation commenced and 5000 tons of wagon-building plates from Yawata Iron & Steel were supplied.
- 1953: Otis Elevator Company (India) was established.
- 1954: Technical and Financial Collaboration with Willys Overland Corporation to assemble Jeep-type vehicles.
- 1956: Shares listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange. Dr. Beck & Company established - a joint venture with Dr. Beck & Company, Germany.
- 1957: Mahindra Owen established - a joint venture with Rubery Owen & Company Limited, UK.
- 1958: Machine Tools Division commenced operations.
- 1960: Mahindra Sintered Products Limited established - a joint venture with Bir Field (GKN Group, UK).
- 1962: Mahindra Ugine Steel Company established - a joint venture with Ugine Kuhlmann, France.
- 1963: International Tractor Company of India established - a joint venture with International Harvester Company, USA.
- 1965: Manufacture of light commercial vehicles commenced. Vickers Sperry of India Limited established - a joint venture with Sperry Rand Corporation, USA.
- 1969: The Company entered the world market with export of utility vehicles and spare parts.
- 1970: Mahindra Engineering & Chemical Products Limited commenced operations.
- 1971: International Harvester collaboration ended.
- 1975: Mahindra Engines developed an indigenous diesel engine for its vehicles to beat the fuel crisis.
- 1977: International Tractor Company of India merged with Mahindra & Mahindra to become its Tractor Division.
- 1979: License from Automobiles Peugeot, France, for manufacture of XDP 4.90 Diesel Engines.
- 1982: Mahindra brand of tractors launched. Siro Plast Limited established.
- 1983: Mahindra & Mahindra became market leader in the Indian tractor market, a position it has retained till date.
- 1984: Mahindra Hellenic Auto Industries S.A. established - a joint venture in Greece to assemble and market utility vehicles in Europe.
- 1986: Tech Mahindra (formerly known as Mahindra British Telecom) established - a joint venture with British Telecommunications Plc (BT), UK, leading the way for the Group's entry into Information Technology.
- 1987: Acquired International Instruments Limited.
- 1989: Automotive Pressing Unit (now Mahindra Ugine Steel Company Limited) acquired from GKN.
- 1991: Introduction of Commander Range of vehicles. Mahindra Financial Services Limited established as a wholesale fund provider.
- 1992: Merged diverse activities of Steel, Machine Tools and Graphics into Intertrade Division.
- 1993: Incorporation of Mahindra British Telecom International Inc., USA, a wholly owned subsidiary of Mahindra British Telecom.
- Mahindra Steel Service Centre Limited established in association with Mitsubishi Corporation and Nissho Iwai Corporation of Japan.
- Mahindra Acres Consulting Engineers Limited established - a joint venture with Acres International Limited(Canada) to provide multidisciplinary engineering consultancy services.
- Armada range of vehicles launched.
- 1994: Reorganisation of the Group creating six Strategic Business Units: Automotive, Farm Equipment, Infrastructure, Trade & Financial Services, Information Technology(earlier known as Telecom and Software) and Systech(earlier known as MSAT). Mahindra Realty & Infrastructure Developers Limited established. Mahindra USA Inc. established for distribution of tractors in the USA. EAC Graphics (India) Limited established in collaboration with The East Asiatic Company Limited A/S, Denmark. Mahindra Allwyn Nissan Limited merged with the Company.
- 1995: Mahindra Holding & Finance Limited became a subsidiary of Mahindra & Mahindra to carry out business as an investment company.
- Technical collaboration with Mitsubishi / Samcor to manufacture the Mitsubishi L300.
- 1996: Mahindra Ford India Limited established - a joint venture with Ford Motor Company, USA, to manufacture passenger cars.
- The Company made a Foreign Currency Convertible Bond (FCCB) issue of US$ 115 million.
- Mahindra Holidays & Resorts India Limited established.
- Mahindra Consulting (now Bristlecone) established.
- 1997: Inauguration of the Mahindra United World College of India. Mahindra World City Developers Limited established to set up integrated townships.
- 1999: Launch of Bijlee, a battery-operated, environmental-friendly 3-wheeler.
- The largest online used vehicle website in India launched by Mahindra Network Services.
- The Company acquired a major stake in Gujarat Tractors and renamed it Mahindra Gujarat Tractors Limited.
- Mahindra & Mahindra Financial Services Limited became a subsidiary of Mahindra & Mahindra.
- Mahindra Logisoft Business Solutions Limited established.
- Mahindra Intertrade Limited established as the trading arm of the Group.
- 2000: The Company adopted a new logo.
- Mahindra Auto Specialties Limited established - a new 100% subsidiary.
- Mahindra & Mahindra set up its first satellite tractor plant at Rudrapur.
- A new age tractor, Mahindra Arjun 605 DI (60 HP), launched.
- Bolero GLX (a utility vehicle) launched in response to the needs of urban consumers.
- 2001: Champion, a 3-wheeler diesel vehicle, launched.
- Mahindra MaXX launched, a multi-utility vehicle positioned with the caption 'Maximum Space, Maximum Comfort'.
- Mahindra & Mahindra tied up with Renault for Petrol Engines.
- A separate division established to provide Defence Solutions.
- Mahindra Special Services Group established to provide Information Security.
- Mahindra Infrastructure Developers Limited established for development and management of infrastructure projects.
- Mahindra Lifespaces Developers Limited established for development of corporate property.
- 2002: Scorpio launched, a new generation, world-class sports utility vehicle that redefined the SUV market and lived up to its positioning: 'Nothing else will do'.
- 2003: Invader launched - a sporty open top vehicle.
- A second tractor assembly plant set up in USA.
- MaXX Pik Up launched.
- India's first Turbo tractor launched - Mahindra Sarpanch 595 DI Super Turbo.
- Mahindra & Mahindra ventured into Industrial engine business.
- An alliance formed between Mahindra Defence & Lockheed Martin Information Systems, UK, for defence products.
- Mahindra Engineering Services established.
- 2004: Mahindra World Tractor(75 HP) launched in the International market.
- Systech (earlier known as MSAT) established, to focus on developing components as well as offering engineering services.
- Bolero and Scorpio launched in Latin American, Middle East and South African markets.
- Signed MoU to enter into joint venture with Jiangling Motor Company Group (JMCG) of China, to acquire tractor manufacturing assets from Jiangling Tractor Company, a subsidiary of Jiangling Motor Company Group.
- Mahindra & Mahindra became the first Indian company to achieve sales of one million tractors.
- 2005: Acquired 51% stake in SAR Transmission Private Limited, a company engaged in manufacture of gears and transmission shafts.
- Farm Equipment Sector launched operations in Australia.
- Mahindra & Mahindra became the first Indian auto manufacturer to launch the Common Rail Diesel Engine (CRDe), offering it in the Scorpio.
- Acquired 80% stake in the joint venture with Jiangling Motors i.e. in Mahindra (China) Tractor Company.
- Mahindra Renault Limited established - a joint venture with Renault to manufacture and market Logan, a mid-sized sedan, in India.
- Mahindra International Limited established - a joint venture with International Truck and Engine Corporation to manufacture trucks & buses in India.
- 2006: Announced plans to set up a 3000 acres Special Economic Zone in Jaipur.
- The Mahindra United football team won the Federation Cup trophy.
- Mahindra & Mahindra’s fifth full-scale automotive plant opened in Hardiwar Industrial Estate to manufacture three-wheeler.
- The Scorpio Hybrid was unveiled at the Delhi Auto Expo along with 9 other prototype vehicles.
- Mahindra & Mahindra acquired the Stokes Group of UK, the largest automotive forgings company in the UK.
- Mahindra Finance became the first Mahindra Group Company in 23 years to be listed publicly and was oversubscribed 27 times.
- BMW entered Mahindra World City, Chennai.
- The All New Scorpio with 43 new features was launched.
- Mahindra Life spaces announced plans to set up a Special Economic Zone spreading over 3000 acres in Pune.
- Scorpio was chosen for the Gondwanaland Expedition – a landmark assignment for the vehicle.
- Mahindra Holidays & Resorts India Limited (the 'Company'), a leisure hospitality provider offering quality family holidays and part of the Mahindra Group of Companies.
- Mahindra & Mahindra's Farm Equipment Sector (FES) showcased India's first bio-diesel .
- Mahindra & Mahindra launched the Scorpio V-series.
- On Nov. 1, 2007, a wholly owned affiliate of Navistar International Corporation (Other OTC: NAVZ), signed a joint venture agreement with Mahindra & Mahindra to produce diesel engines for medium and heavy commercial trucks and buses in India.
- Logan was the highest selling sedan and Scorpio the highest selling UV in July 2007.
- Mahindra launched the Mahindra Pik-Up (double cab) in Chile in July 2007.
- 2008: Mahindra enters into JV with TMI Pacific in Australia
- Project Ingenio is now Mahindra XYLO
- Mahindra introduces FuelSmart system in Bolero and Scorpio SUVs
- Tech Mahindra receives the Frost and Sullivan 2008 Growth Excellence Award
- Anand Mahindra receives Harvard Business School Alumni Achievement Award
- Mahindra launches first Sustainability Report with highest GRI Rating
- Mahindra First Choice Services launches first CarXSpace outlet in Chennai
- Mahindra to enter the two-wheeler industry.
- Mahindra Tractors launch Indias first bio-diesel tractor
- Mahindra Intertrade inaugurates a world-class Electrical Steel processing plant in Vadodara
- 2009: Mahindra launches the Xylo – January 13
- Mahindra launches the New, Mighty Muscular Scorpio- March 6
- Tech Mahindra declared highest bidder for Satyam – April 14
- 2013: Mahindra XUV500 sets a new record in the Limca Book of Records
- Mahindra launches its innovative customer care initiative, Mahindra QWIK
- 2014- Mahindra Group expands its footprint in the United States
- Mahindra Two Wheelers debuts in Uganda
- Mahindra signs MoU with Government of Bhutan to promote usage of Electric Vehicles in the country
- 2017-Mahindra Launches a Bundle of Industry-First Hi-Tech Features in the New Age XUV500
- Mahindra Electric Mobility Ltd. partners with Zoomcar to introduce electric vehicles in the shared mobility space
- Mahindra First Choice Wheels launches India's first Certified Pre-owned Electric Vehicle program & retail outlet
- Mahindra Launches JIVO - A New Small Tractor Platform
- Mahindra Launches Supro Minivan and Minitruck
- Mahindra Aerostructures awarded contract by Saab
- Mahindra Introduces DiGiSENSE in Arjun Novo
- Mahindra provides first-of-its-kind service support in the Indian trucking industry
- Mahindra Aerostructures signs MoU with France’s Segnere
- Mahindra Lifespaces and State Bank of India sign MoU
- Mahindra launches a more stylish avatar of the KUV100 on its 1st anniversary
- Mahindra Marine Unveils the Mahindra Odyssea 55
- Mahindra World City, Jaipur collaborates with ZEE Jaipur Literature Festival 2017
- Mahindra launches sequel to its popular 'Live Young Live Free' television commercial
- Mahindra and EESL Partnership a Significant Step Toward Helping India Achieve its Paris Climate Goals
- Mahindra Launches Prerna - an initative aimed at supporting and empowering Indian women in agriculture.
- Mahindra Launches New W9 variant in XUV500
- Mahindra Introduces New, Luxurious TUV300 T10
- Mahindra and Ford to Explore Strategic Cooperation to Drive Profitable Growth in India and other Emerging Markets
-Mahindra launches e-Alfa Mini electric rickshaw for passenger movement
- Mahindra Agri Launches Tromph
- Mahindra Agri Solutions signs MoU with MCX for data on agricultural pricing
- Mahindra launches Jeeto Minivan to redefine last mile transportation
- Mahindra & Shachaf Engineering to collaborate on Strategic Electronics for Aerospace, Marine & Automotive Applications
- Mahindra & Mahindra Financial Services wins Aon Best Employer Award for 2017
- Mahindra Launches a Bundle of Industry-First Hi-Tech Features in the New Age XUV500
- Mahindra Lifespaces launches ‘Aqualily Flexi-homes’ in Mahindra World City, Chennai
- Golden Peacock Award for Occupational Health & Safety - 2009
- Mahindra FES won gold as the Best New Tractor in the Lower Horse Power Category (upto 70 Hp) at the 76th International Novisad Fair.
- On May 14, 2009, Mahindra & Mahindra was awarded the prestigious 21st CFBP Jamnalal Bajaj Uchit Vyavahar Puraskar 2008,
- On April 29, 2009, Club Mahindra Snow peaks Resort, Manali was awarded as the Best Socially Responsible Resort at Manali.
- The Scorpio receive the Best Off roader vehicle of the year 2009 award and the Start-stop technology received the Environment Initiative of the year 2009 award from Carwale.com on April 29, 2009.
- On April 8, 2009, 'Club Mahindra' was adjudged a Consume Superbrand after passing a rigorous consumer validation process, which included a survey across 19000+ respondents and scrutiny by the Brand Council Club Mahindra falls within the top 10% of all brands across all segments and categories.
- Mahindra received five corporate collateral awards.
- Mahindra received the Green Award for the Scorpio M2DI.
- Mahindra Renault received the Integrated Marketing Campaign of the Year award .
- Mr. Anand Mahindra, VC & MD, Mahindra Group, was felicitated with the Qimpro Platinum Standard (Business) 2008 award.
- Mahindra’s Auto Sector has won the ‘Top Gear Manufacturer of the Year’ award.
- For the Third time in a row, Mahindra’s Zaheerabad plant bagged the 1st prize in Andhra Pradesh Productivity Council Energy Conservation Award – 2008.
- Mahindra received the Best Innovation Award at the UTVi Autocar Awards 2009.
- Mahindra & Mahindra was awarded the Niryat Shree Bronze Trophy by FIEO.
- Mahindra Farm Equipment Sector (FES) with their partner RC&M (a leading experimental marketing solution provider) bagged two golds at the second edition of the Rural Marketing Association of India (RMAI) awards 2008.
- Mahindra and Mahindra Limited has been conferred with the CSIR Diamond Jubilee Technology Award 2007.
- Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. received the prestigious ICSI National Award for Excellence in Corporate Governance for the year 2008.
- Zaheerabad plant has bagged the 1st prize in National Energy Conservation Award – 2008.
- Nashik Plant has been awarded the National Certificate of Merit for Excellence in Energy Management.
- Nashik Plant was awarded the prestigious CII National Award For Excellence in Water Management 2008.
- The Mahindra Group was honoured with nine communication awards at the 48th annual ABCI (Association of Business Communicators of India) awards nite in Mumbai on Friday, 7th November 2008.
- Tech Mahindra Limited was conferred the 2008 Frost & Sullivan Growth Excellence Award.
- Auto Sector Igatpuri Plant won the Best Kaizen Award at the 12th National Kaizen Conference in Delhi on October 13-14.
- The Nashik Plant became the first plant to win the prestigious CII National Award for Excellence in Energy Management 2008.
- Club Mahindra Lake View Resort, Munnar has won the CNBC AWAAZ Travel Awards '08 for Best Resort for Health and Rejuvenation.
- Mahindra & Mahindra was honoured with the Businessworld FICCI-SEDF Corporate Social Responsibility Award.
- Mahindra World City is the runner-up in the Best Developer - Mixed Use category at the 2008 Cityscape Asia Real Estate Awards.
- Mahindra Lifespaces bagged the Creative Excellence in Employer Branding award from the Economic Times in the Real Estate category at a ceremony held in Mumbai in March 2008.
- Mahindra Lifespaces’ project ‘The Woods’ in Wakad, Pune won the AESA (Architects Engineers & Surveyors Association of Pune) Gold Award, 2008.
- M&M won the Auto Monitor CSR award for the Lifeline Express at a glittering ceremony held in New Delhi on the 7th of March 2008.
- Mahindra & Mahindra won the following awards at the Asia Pacific HRM Congress 2007-08 in Mumbai on February 14, 2008.
- Employer Brand of the Year 2007-08, Award.
- Best HR Strategy in line with Business, Award for Talent Management, -Award for Continuous Innovation in HR Strategy at Work,-Award for Excellence in Training,-Award for Managing Health at Work -Award for Global HR Strategy, -Award for Excellence in HR through Technology and -Award for Innovative Retention Strategy.
- Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. was awarded the 'Excellence in Innovation' Award.
- Mr. Anand Mahindra received the CEO of the Year award.
- On January 19, Mr. Anand Mahindra, Vice Chairman and Managing Director of Mahindra & Mahindra, was honoured with Business India's Businessman of the Year 2007.
- On January 18, Mahindra Holidays & Resorts India Limited bagged the coveted Avaya Global Connect Award.
- On January 18, Mahindra and Mahindra won the BSE award.
- On January 15, FES won the prestigious 'Golden Peacock National Quality Award - 2007'
- On January 10, the Logan won the Midsize Car of the Year Award.
- Logan was declared the Hindustan Times Car of the Year 2007.
- The Scorpio and the Logan received the TNS 'The Voice of the Customer' award.
- The Nashik Plant of Automotive Sector was awarded the prestigious Platinum 1st Runner Up Award.
- Mahindra & Mahindra Auto Sector's Zaheerabad plant has won the First Prize in the National Energy Conservation Awards – 2007.
- Mahindra & Mahindra was honoured with the Pegasus Corporate Social Responsibility Gold Award.
- Mahindra Powerol has won the prestigious 'VOICE OF CUSTOMER' award.
- Mr. Bharat Doshi, Executive Director & Group CFO, M&M, received the CFO of the Year award.
- Mahindra & Mahindra has been awarded as the organization with the “Best Automotive Manufacturing Supply Chain Excellence”.
- Mr. Arvind Tawde, Sr. VP and CIO, Mahindra & Mahindra, received the CTO of the Year 2007 award.
- Mahindra & Mahindra has been honored with the coveted Bombay Chamber Good Corporate Citizen Award 2006-07.
- The Institute of Economic Studies (IES), New Delhi, has awarded the 'Udyog Rattan'.
- M&M has won the Security Strategist Award 2007.
- Mahindra Lifespaces has been honoured as the Best Developer in the Best Transparent Systems category at the recently held CNBC Awaaz - CRISIL Real Estate Awards.
- Mahindra & Mahindra was awarded the prestigious SAP ACE 2007.
- Mahindra & Mahindra Farm Equipment Sector has won an AE50 Outstanding Innovation Award 2007. 'Golden Peacock Occupational Health & Safety Award' for the year 2007. and many more.
- Mahindra Reva receives CII Design Excellence award
Keshub Mahindra honoured with ASSOCHAM Lifetime Achievement Award