Tata Power, erstwhile known as Tata Electric, pioneered the generation of electricity in India nine decades ago. The company started as Tata Hydroelectric Power Supply Company in 1911, it got its new status with the amalgamation of two entities viz, Tata Hydroelectric Power Supply Company and Andhra Valley Power Supply Company in 1916. Today, it is the country's largest private power utility, established as a licensee in Mumbai and with ambitious expansion plans from being essentially Mumbai-centric to a major national player, not only in the fields of Power but also in Energy and Broadband Communication.
Tata Power commissioned India’s first power plant- the hydro-electric station- in Khopoli (72 MW) in 1915, the second hydro station one in Bhivpuri (75 MW) in 1919 and the 3rd one in Bhira (300 MW) in 1922. With these three hydro stations and the 1,350 MW thermal power station in Trombay, Mumbai; a 475 MW power station near Jamshedpur in Jharkhand and an 87 MW thermal power plant in Belgaum, Tata Power is the largest integrated private power company in India and is the most trustworthy power supplier to Mumbai.
The Tata Power Company Limited is India's largest private sector power utility with an installed generation capacity of over 2785 MW. The company has emerged as a pioneer in the Indian power sector, with a track record of performance, customer care and sustained growth. Tata Power has a presence in all the segments of the power sector viz generation (thermal, hydro, solar, wind and liquid fuel), transmission and distribution
Recognized as India’s largest private sector power utility, with a reputation for trustworthiness, built up over nearly nine decades, Tata Power surges ahead into yet another year with plans of sustained growth, greater value to consumer and reliable power supply.
Led by a powerful vision, Tata Power pioneered the generation of electricity in India. It has now successfully served the Mumbai consumers for over ninety years and has spread its footprints across the nation. Today, it is the country’s largest private player in the sector. Apart from Mumbai and Delhi, the company has generation capacities in Jojobera, Jharkhand and Karnataka.
Tata Power has an installed power generation capacity of above 2300 Mega Watts, with the Mumbai power business, which has a unique mix of Thermal and Hydro Power, generated at the Thermal Power Station, Trombay, and the Hydro Electric Power Stations at Bhira, Bhivpuri and Khopoli, accounting for 1797 MW. Its diverse generation capability facilitates the company in producing low cost energy, thereby giving its consumers a greater value for money.
Among its many achievements that Tata Power can proudly boast of are the installation and commissioning of India’s first 500 MW unit (at its Thermal Power Generating Station, Trombay) the 150 MW Pumped Storage Unit at its Hydro Generating Station, Bhira, and environmental control systems like the Flue Gas Desulphurisation plant.
Tata Power has a first of its kind joint venture with Power Grid Corporation of India for the 1200 km Tala Transmission Project.
Services offered by the company:
Design & Development- Strategic Electronics Division (SED)- SED (Mumbai) was established in 1967 and is today a leading development organization, having pioneered indigenous design and development of many hi-tech systems for Defence and Industry. The manufacturing facility was established in 1982 and is situated in Bangalore.
Direct Marketing - Power Supply to Mumbai Consumers- The Company also supplies power directly to such bulk consumers as Central and Western Railways, Mumbai Port, refineries, textile mills, fertilizer factories, BARC, Municipal Corporation water pumping plants and other major continuous processes industries requiring uninterrupted power supply.
Power Projects & Related Services- Tata Power also extends its expertise for:Setting up Independent Power Plants (IPP) Setting up Captive Power Plants (CPP)Power Transmission and Distribution Projects Operation and Maintenance Services (O&M Services)
Transmission & Distribution
- Transmission Business - Tata Power owns and operates 1200 circuit Kms of high voltage (220 kV and 110 kV) Transmission Network.
- Distribution Business - Tata Power has a 935 km HT and LT cable distribution network connecting 17 major receiving stations and over 85 sub-stations in its Mumbai License area.
Subsidiary Companies associated with Tata Power:
- Af-Taab Investment Co. Ltd.
- Chemical Terminal Trombay Ltd.
- Powerlinks Transmission Ltd.
- Tata Power Trading Co. Ltd.
- Maithon Power Ltd.
- NELCO Ltd.
- Tatanet Services Ltd.
- Industrial Energy Ltd.
- Industrial Power Utility Ltd.
- Industrial Power Infrastructure Ltd.
- Coastal Gujarat Power Limited
- Veltina Holdings Ltd.
- Tata Power (Mauritius) Ltd.
- Tata Power (Cyprus) Ltd.
- Tata Power International Holdings Ltd.
- North Delhi Power Ltd.
- Energy Eastern Pte. Ltd.
- Trust Energy Resources Pte. Ltd.
• Tata Power bags award for best performance in power sector
• Tata Power Distribution Projects obtains Integrated Management System (IMS) Certification
• Tata Power synchronizes unit 1 of its 202.5 MW IEL Kalinganagar-Orissa project
• Tata Power innovates with Toshiba and Cargill, to design and develop India's first Pad mount Substation
• Tata Power gets forest clearance for wind power project
• Tata Power Inaugurates its third Tata Power Skill Development Institute (TPSDI) in Maithon, Jharkhand as a dedication to Nation
• Tata Power commissions solar unit at Rajaram Maize factory
• Tata Power launches spot billing facility for Mumbai consumers
• Tata Power launches Mobile App for stakeholders, consumers
• Tata Power unveils four training hubs in India
• Tata Power acquires 30 MW wind farm in Maharashtra
• Tata Power receives order to supply to Indian army
• Tata Power enters into a binding understanding with NELCO to purchase NELCO’s defence business
• Tata Power signs MoU with Siberian Coal Energy Company to indentify and evaluate opportunities in energy sector
• Tata Power SEP consortium down-selected for prestigious MAKE Project of Battlefield Management System for the Indian Army
• Tata Power has commissioning of Unit 1 of 126 MW Dagachhu Hydro project in Bhutan
• Tata Power Company Ltd has successfully commissioned the unit of its Dagachhu Hydro power project having a capacity of 63 MW in Bhutan
• Tata Power enters into a Share Purchase Agreement in relation to the 120 MW Itezhi Tezhi hydropower project in Zambia
• Tata Power has commissioned 1.25 MW rooftop projects at SASTRA University - Thanjavur and Kumbakonam campuses in Tamil Nadu
• Tata Power Company has commissioned one of the largest radio frequency metering projects in India
• Tata Power joins hand with BlackBerry arm for mobile communications system
• Tata Power Company Ltd has entered into partnership with Cargill and Schneider Electric to install India's first natural ester filled transformers
• Tata Power - Tata Power’s Trombay Thermal Power bags an award at the Best Safety Practices Award Competition
• Tata Power launches special AC Exchange programme in Mumbai to promote energy efficiency under its 'Be Green' initiative
• Tata Power Company Ltd has launched an online module of the Club Enerji programme
• Tata Power honoured with SAP ACE Award 2015 for Enterprise wise Technology adaption -Tata Power's Joint-Venture 120 MW Itezhi Tezhi Hydro Power Project in Zambia gets CDM approval from UNFCCC -Tata Power honoured at the National Energy Conservation Award, 2015
• Tata Power and Gamesa India enter into a contract for commissioning 100 MW turnkey wind project in Andhra Pradesh
• Tata Power's Joint-Venture Maithon Power Limited (MPL) Commences flow of energy to Kerala on a Long Term Agreement basis –
• ata Power - The Maithon Power ( MPL) - a Tata Power and Damodar Valley Corporation joint venture company has completed its tie-up of power through long-term PPA with the commencement of power flow to Kerala State Electricity Board
• Tata Power signs MoU with the Ministry for Development of Russian Far East
• Tata Power wins ''Honble Minister Mr. Arun Jaitley bestows coveted National Award for Excellence in Corporate Governance 2013.
• Tata Power signs Share Purchase Agreement for acquisition of 540 MW coal based thermal power project in Maharashtra.
• Tata Power successfully commissions its 2nd 25 MW solar farm in Palaswadi, Maharashtra.
• Tata Power SED to produce defense navigation system for Honeywell.
• Tata Power Company has announced Rights in the Ratio of 7:50
• Tata Agrico Best Garden Awards 2013MACCIA Awards 2013Partner Recognition for Illustrious Delivery & Excellence
• Tata Power Co.has signed an agreement with Clean Energy Invest AS (Clean Energy) and IFC InfraVentures (IFC) for developing hydro projects in Georgia for sale of power, primarily to Turkey.
• Tata Power Co.has announced the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Ministry of Industry and Trade; Government of Vietnam for developing the Long Phu 2 Power Project in Soc Trang Province of Vietnam.
• Tata Power signs Share Purchase Agreement (SPA) for acquisition of of 39.2 MW wind farm in Gujarat.
• Tata Power wins 1,200 MW project in Vietnam.
Infrastructure Excellence Awards 2012Powerline Award in the category 'Best Performing Renewable IPP'Certificate of Merit awarded to Transmission Linesolden Peacock Environment Management Award - 2012 Greentech Safety Award 2012 - Silver in the Power Sector categoryInnovative Energy Service Award'The Most Innovative Energy Service Award'
- Maithon Power Limited (a Joint-Venture of Tata Power and Damodar Valley Corporation), in continuation with the “Green Maithon, Great Maithon” campaign launched on World Environment Day, has undertaken Green Belt Development on over 400 acres of project area and social forestry in 10 Kms radius. -Sept 2011.
- Tata Power, won several accolades at the prestigious CMO Asia Awards 2011 for excellence in Brand and Marketing organized at Singapore.
- “Greentech Safety Gold Award 2008” in Thermal Power sector for “Outstanding achievement in Safety Management” awarded to Trombay Thermal Power Station for the 5th consecutive year. - April 2008.
- “Suraksha Puraskar” by the National Safety Council of India for Jojobera, in January 2008 for developing and implementing very effective Safety Management Systems and Procedures during the assessment period of three years – 2003-05. – January 2008.
- Silver Shield awarded for Bhira and Bhira Pump Storage Scheme (6X25 + 1 X 150 MW), adjudged the second best performing station in the country by the Central Electricity Authority, India. – March 2008.
- Awarded the Quality Circles AWARD 2007 at the “National Convention on Quality Circles” under the aegis of Quality Circle Forum of India.
- Dahanukar Award by the Indian Association of Occupational Health for HIV/AIDS intervention at the workplace.
- NASSCOM Best IT User Award 2006 in the Energy and Utility sector for providing value added services to consumers through Customer Portal System via Internet website.
- Amity HR Excellence Award for the year 2007 for effective people management practices and HR systems.
- Tata Power has won the prestigious Dahanukar Award for HIV / AIDS intervention at the work place in 2007.
- Association of Business Communicators India Award 2007 – Bronze medal for Social Responsibility Communication.
- Tata Power Bhira Hydro Plant has received the ‘Silver Shield’ Award from the Central Electricity Authority Mumbai.
- ‘Tata Power, Jamshedpur' has been declared as the winner of 'Golden Peacock Environment Management Award' for the year 2006.
- Greentech Safety Award 2006 under Platinum Category has been awarded to The Tata Power Co. Ltd., Jojobera, Jamshedpur.
- Rajiv Gandhi National Quality Award 2005 for Jojobera.
- Tata Power is awarded Certificate for Strong Commitment to Excel for the year 2005 by the jury of CII-EXIM Bank Award for Business Excellence-2005 – 12 November 2005.
- Tata Power among the top 13 Best Managed Companies in India by Business Today-AT Kearney.
- Tata Power receives CII National Award for ‘Excellence in Energy Management’ (Nov 04, 2004).
- The 2nd Wartsila-Mantosh Sondhi Award 2004 for its outstanding contribution to the Indian Power sector.
- Greentech Environment Excellence Platinum Award' in Thermal Power sector for the year 2003-2004 for Jojobera Division.
- 'Greentech Safety Gold Award' for the Year 2003-2004 for the Trombay power plant.
- Tata Power receives the Greentech Gold Award for safety (August 18, 2003).
- Tata Power bags BCCI 'good corporate citizen award 2001-2002' (September 21, 2002).
- Premier credit rating agencies like CRISIL & ICRA have given Tata Power the Coveted 'AAA ' and 'LAAA' ratings respectively.
- Tata Power has won the N M GIDWANI Rolling Trophy consistently from 1991 to 1999, for the maintenance of the Suman Nagar Gardens, a competition conducted by the Friends of Trees.
- Safety Awards for Lowest Frequency Rate of Accident and Maximum Accident Free days have been won by Trombay Thermal Power Station in 1992. Bombay Chamber Good Corporate Citizen Award 1994 - 95.
- Awards from FCCI, ASSOCHAM and the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India for the achievements in the field of R & D.
- Confederation of Indian Industries (CII) award for the development of 500 MW Thermal Power Plant training simulator.
- The Review 200 Plaque ranked Tata Power among the top ten organisations in Asia for overall corporate excellence by the Far Eastern Economic Review in 1995.
- The 1995 Power Plant Award presented by Electric Power International for the Trombay Thermal Power Station.
- Bronze Award from the American Concrete Institute for the 'Outstanding Structures of the Year' for the 900 feet tall reinforced concrete chimney for the 500 MW power plant at Trombay Thermal Power Station 1988-89.