The company was incorporated in January 1947 as Associated Battery Makers to purchase all or any of the assets of the business of manufacturers, buyers and sellers of and dealers in and repairers of electrical and chemical appliances and goods carried on by the Chloride Electric Storage Company.
The name of the company was changed to Chloride India in 1972 which later got changed to Chloride Industries in 1988. Finally in 1995 the name was changed to Exide Industries.
The company manufactures the widest range of storage batteries in the world from 2.5 Ah to 20,400 Ah capacity, covering the broadest spectrum of applications. The company has six factories strategically located across the country - two in Maharashtra, one in West Bengal, two in Tamil Nadu and one in Haryana. Constant innovations have helped the company to produce the world’s largest range of industrial batteries extending from 2.5 Ah to 15000 Ah and covering various technology configurations.
Automotive Batteries In India the company markets the products under Exide, SF, Sonic and Standard Furukawa brands and supplies to all car and two-wheeler manufacturers. In international market it sells products under Dynex, Index & Sonic brands. It has a distribution network of 4000 outlets, supported by 4 regional offices and 28 branch offices. It also exports batteries to the Middle East, Japan and CIS countries.
Industrial Batteries It manufactures industrial batteries in a wide range from 2.5 Ah to 20,600 Ah. In India it sells products under Exide, Index, SF, CEIL and Power Safe brands and in international market under CEIL, Chloride and Index brands. Industrial batteries cater mostly to the infrastructure sector such as railways, telecom, power plants, solar cells and other industrial segments including uninterrupted power supply, inverters and traction batteries.
Submarine Batteries The Company is also engaged in manufacturing of high-end submarine batteries (Type 1, 2 & 3). It is one of the five companies in the world which has capacity to manufacture submarine batteries for Russian and German types. It manufactures two to three submarine batteries a year for India’s defence requirement.
With an intention to expand its global presence company it acquired 51% stake in Leadage Alloys India in June 2008
It acquired 100% stake in Tandon Metals in October 2007 and 100% stake in Caldyne Automatics in July 2007.
It acquired 61.5% stake in Associated Battery Manufacturers (Ceylon), Sri Lanka by 2004.
It acquired 100% stake in Chloride Batteries S E Asia Pte, Singapore in 2001
It has also successfully acquired 51% stake in UK-based ESPEX Batteries and a 26% shareholding in Ceil Motive Power Pty, Australia.
In 2012- 2012 -Acquisition of Inverter manufacturing facility at Roorkee, Uttarakhand. -Technical Collaboration with East Penn Manufacturing Co., USA.
2013- Acquisition of remaining 50% shareholding in ‘Exide Life Insurance Company Limited’.
Its plant at Haldia, received Environment Excellence Award- by West Bengal Pollution Control Board & Indian Chamber of Commerce - 2005
Exide's Haldia plant also was awarded ITC Trophy for Safety, Health & Environment - by CII – 2007
Exide Industries plant at Hosur in Tamil Nadu received CII-EXIM Bank Award for Strong Commitment to Excel by CII in 2006
Exide Industries was awarded with Best SMF Battery Award for three consecutive years –2005-2006-2007
Exide Industries was honored with the 2010 Market Leadership Award in the Indian Industrial Battery Segment by Frost & Sullivan, the global consultancy major.
Exide Industries Limited awarded the Frost & Sullivan 2010 Market Leadership Award in the Industrial Battery Segment- 2010
2014- Won the Green Tech Safety Award – 2014. Received Gold Award from Arogya World Trust for creating 'Healthy Workplace'.
- Received the Silver Recognition Award in OSH India Chennai 2014.
- Won the Tamil Nadu State Safety Award from the Labour Minister, Government of Tamil Nadu.
- Won Gold Award in Competition for Maintenance Personnel from ABK-AOTS DOSOKAI.
- Received 4+ star grading in quality and 5 star grading in delivery from HMI.
- Received the Quality Improvement Award - 2014 from M/s Hyundai.
- Received the MSIL - Design & Development Award for EIL SF R&D Taloja Plant, during MSIL Vendor Conference, Dubai.
- Won the Manufacturing Today - Runner Up Award for Excellence in Operation (Large) category.
- Awarded with GM-QSB Certificate for three years (2014-17).
- Received 15th Annual Greentech Environment Award 2014 - Silver category.
2015- Excellence in Consistent TPM Commitment 2015.
- Quality Improvement Award 2015. -Runner-Up in Excellence in Customer Service 2015.
- Runner-Up in Training and Skill Development 2015.
-16th Annual Greentech Environment -Gold Award by Greentech in 2015.
-16th Annual Greentech Environment -Silver Award by Greentech in 2015.
-Prime Minister Shram Shree Award. -3rd Position in 15th National Supervisory Skill Competition.
- 1st Rank in Delivery & Quality for Dec'15.- 1st Rank in Delivery & Quality for Nov' 15.
- Supplier Quality Excellence Award 2015.
-Good Supplier Performance for July'15. -1st Prize in Slogan Competition in 2015.
-1st Prize in Poem Competition in 2015. -Poka-Yoke Competition Award (Platinum Award) in 2015.
- Poka-Yoke Competition Award (Gold Award) in 2015.
2016- CII-ITC Award 2016 for Commendable Achievement in SCM Sustainability.
- Golden Peacock Award for Excellence in Corporate Governance 2016.
- Manufacturing Today Award 2016. - Greentech Safety Award 2016.
-Golden Peacock National Quality Award 2016. -NCQC Excellence Awards - 2015-16.
- RCQC Excellence Awards - 2015-16. -Frost & Sullivan Sustainability 4.0 Awards – 2016.
- 1st Rank in Delivery & Quality for Jan' 16.
2017-Rashtra Vibhushan Award 2017.